‘Hazard!’ Producer Mike Richards resigns as incoming presenter

Mike Richards accepts the Outstanding Game Show Award for Jeopardy! during the 48th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards, which will air on June 25, 2021.

Daytime Emmy Awards 2021 | Getty Images Entertainment | Getty Images

“Danger!” Executive producer Mike Richards said Friday he no longer plans to become the next host on the long-running quiz show.

The news comes just days after it was revealed that he made comments about women, Jews and people with intellectual disabilities on a podcast he hosted from 2013 to 2014.

Production of the show has ceased and the search for a permanent replacement for the late Alex Trebek continues. Richards said the guest hosts will be returning so production of the current season can continue.

“I would like to apologize to each of you for the unwanted negative attention that ‘Jeopardy!’ was granted. over the past few weeks and for the confusion and delay this is causing now, “Richards said in a memo to the show staff.” I know I still have a lot to do to regain your trust and confidence. “

It seems that Richards will remain the show’s EP and Mayim Bialik her role as host of ‘Jeopardy!’ Prime-time and spin-off series.

On Thursday, Richards, 46, admitted his “thoughtlessness” and “insensitivity” after an article by The Ringer on Wednesday detailed derogatory statements on “The Randumb Show”. The 41-episode podcast was taken offline by Richards on Tuesday after being contacted by The Ringer for comment on the show.

This is not the first time the executive producer has been scrutinized, as rumors had been circulating since the beginning of this month that he was the new “Jeopardy!” Host.

Brandi Cochran filed a 2010 discrimination lawsuit against CBS and FremantleMedia during Richard’s tenure as executive producer of “The Price is Right.” The lawsuit alleged the model was not re-invited to the show after taking time off because of her pregnancy. The case was eventually settled, but Richards faced other pregnancy discrimination lawsuits beyond Cochran that were unsuccessful.

Additionally, many questioned Richard’s qualifications for the hosting gig, as well as his influence on the process in selecting Trebek’s replacement.

Here is the statement on CNBC that Richards shared with the Jeopardy staff this morning:

It pains me that these incidents and comments have cast such a shadow on Jeopardy in the past! how we want to start a new chapter.

As I mentioned last week, I was deeply honored to have been asked to host the syndicated show and was thrilled to have the opportunity to expand my role. However, in the last few days it has become clear that progressing as hosts would be too much of a distraction for our fans and not the right step for the show. Therefore, I will resign as host with immediate effect. For this reason we will stop production today.

SPT will now continue to search for a permanent syndicated host. In the meantime, we’ll be bringing back guest hosts to continue production for the new season, the details of which will be announced next week.

I would like to apologize to each of you for the unwanted negative attention that Jeopardy has received! over the past few weeks and for the confusion and delays this is causing now. I know I still have a lot to do to regain your trust and confidence.

This is breaking news. Please check again for updates.

Comments are closed.