The IRS is sending four million reimbursements associated to unemployment in 2020-2020

Bill Oxford | E + | Getty Images

About 4 million refunds will be sent this week to people who overpaid taxes on their 2020 unemployment benefits, the IRS announced on Tuesday.

Due to the $ 1.9 trillion American Rescue Plan Act, which went into effect in March, up to $ 10,200 was deducted from taxable income in 2020 for individuals and married couples with a modified adjusted gross income less than $ 150,000 in the excluded last year.

However, many taxpayers had filed their tax returns before the law was approved by Congress and signed by President Joe Biden.

For taxpayers who overpayed as a result of the foreclosure, the IRS will either refund the overpayment – as it did this week – or apply it to other outstanding taxes or other federal or state debt owed.

More from Personal Finance:
Consider these tax steps before paying for college
How to identify and control a spending problem
The next big steps after the termination

The IRS issued a refund round in connection with the exclusion back in May and June. The agency said it plans to issue refunds all summer.

The average refund for this tranche is $ 1,265. Direct deposit refunds begin July 14, and those delivered by paper check begin July 16, the IRS said.

It is uncertain how many people will be entitled to an adjustment or refund related to this exclusion. A Treasury Department report in May said approximately 7.3 million tax returns processed by the IRS in early March would be eligible.

The Century Foundation estimates that approximately 40 million people received unemployment benefits over the past year. Some would have received a larger or surprising tax bill for 2020 without the federal tax break.

Most taxpayers who have accumulated unemployment in the past year don’t need to do anything. However, the IRS said that if the exclusion was not applied on your original return and the new calculation would mean that you are now not eligible for any deductions or credits, you should file a Form 1040-X which will change the U.S. Income is a tax return, the agency announced.

Comments are closed.